Thailand goes abroad:
Thai outbound investment support
PUGNATORIUS Ltd. is the Bangkok-based specialist provider of transactional legal and tax advice on foreign investments in Thailand’s manufacturing and service industries as well as property acquisition and developments. Thai outbound investments and the representation of the foreign target firm in its dealing with Thai regulations are a specific area of experience and competence of the law firm.
Thai investments abroad, also known as “Outward Foreign Direct Investments (OFDI),” gain in importance. Thailand’s Board of Investment (BOI), as well as other government agencies, promote the acquisition or cross-border financing of foreign companies, or other ways of OFDI. PUGNATORIUS Ltd. held in 2019 a conference in the offices of the BOI lecturing on legal, tax and compliance requirements and long-term experiences with Thai outbound investments.
Free industry updates and professional considerations on Thai outbound investments are available on the law firm’s webpage pugnatorius.com/ofdi. These posts can provide only a low-resolution snapshot and are neither deemed to be legal advice nor do they result in an attorney-client relationship.
Each case is different. Telephone inquiries and ad-hoc email requests on Thailand’s regulatory framework without details and documentation are not accepted by the law firm. Individual support and professional advice are available under a paid consultancy agreement only.
Investment opportunities for foreign companies and developers
With respect to outbound foreign direct investments, the law firm provides professional services in these three areas:
Thai OFDI: Support and assistance for Thai companies.
- Thai requirements for outward investments in foreign countries, legal aspects, tax planning, compliance requirements, and financing
- OFDI restrictions through foreign laws and regulations, legal aspects, regulations, tax planning, financing.
Foreign targets: Support and assistance for foreign companies in their dealings with Thai investors and Thai regulatory requirements.
- Screening of the potential Thai investor for veracity, economic and political background, financial potential, business reliability, identity theft, scams and fraud.
- Examine the scope of required licenses and permissions and clearance papers under Thai laws for the share acquisition (foreign investment authorization certificate, foreign investment approval license, investment clearance papers)
- Examine legal and regulatory requirements and policies for Thai outbound financings and cross-border money transfers (security bond process, foreign remittance clearance, etc.)
- Applications and negotiations with governmental authorities and agencies, monitoring and transaction support during the whole investment process from Thailand on behalf of the foreign target.